The Center for LGBTQ Studies at the The Graduate Center, CUNY (CLAGS) is currently looking to fill the following internships: Admin & Finance Intern, Media Intern, and Events Intern.
All intern positions are unpaid, but offer school credit. Please submit your resume and letter of interest with “Internship application” in the subject line to the contact email below each description. In the past, interns have used their experience at CLAGS to fulfill program requirements or to satisfy course work in their academic discipline. Ideally, we are interested in applicants who would be willing to make semester or year-long commitments.
Admin & Finance Intern
This intern needs to have great attention to detail and general math skills. Knowledge of Quicken and Excel is a plus but not mandatory. They will work closely with the Finance Director and Memberships & Fellowships Coordinator on issuing of Payment Requests, deposits, upkeep of financial databases, conference registrations, budgeting,grant applications, grant reporting and other related tasks. They will also perform some entry level administrative tasks, such as:
- Assistance with processing fellowships
- Updating lists & conducting outreach to faculty, staff, and students
- Create and post flyers on and off campus (primarily CUNY campuses)
- Data entry
- Purchase refreshments & staff tables at events
- Assisting with development such as fundraising events, online giving, and direct mail
- Checking email and voicemail, forward to appropriate contacts
Familiarity with CUNY and LGBTQ community is a plus. Great opportunity to gain practical experience in not for profit and academic finance management and administration. 5-15 hours a week, flexible.
Email cover letter and resume to: Jasmina Sinanovic at firstname.lastname@example.org
Media & Events Intern
CLAGS is seeking an intern to assist with communications, marketing, design, and logistics of our events programming. The position will consist of creating and updating CLAGS website and social media content for CLAGS programs and events, designing digital and print promotional materials, support in scheduling events and conferences related to LGBTQ studies, data entry, and assisting with event logistics and planning. This intern will also assist with support at some CLAGS events.
In addition to knowledge of Word, Photoshop, and social media platforms, we seek applicants who have either worked in LGBTQ studies and/or the LGBTQ community, or someone who is seeking to get more involved within this community. Applicants need not have previous professional experience, but we do require that you have basic knowledge of most of the above programs. The position will report to the Events and Programs Manager.
Require the dedication of 8-10 hours per week with flexible scheduling.
- Website management & content publishing on WordPress.com
- Assist with all CLAGS advertising and marketing promotional activities including social media, mobile, mail, e-mail, web, telemarketing, and print.
- Writing and distributing press releases
- Identifying and making recommendations to improvements on social media channels
- Project management skills
- Stays up to date on social networking trends and the web
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Analytical approach to marketing
- Familiarity with and support of LGBTQ people and issues
Email cover letter and resume to: Yana Calou at email@example.com
CLAGS is looking for volunteers to help with our events on an as-needed basis, with no long-term commitment necessary. Volunteers will represent CLAGS while performing various tasks depending on the programming. Volunteers can participate in ways best suited to them. Volunteers will be called upon as needed and will work with CLAGS staff, board and interns. Events are located primarily at the The Graduate Center, CUNY, 365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY, but also in other areas around Manhattan. If you are interested, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Volunteer” in the subject line.
Volunteers primarily assist with various events and administrative duties, including:
- Preparation for events, mailing, scanning, invitations and other relevant information.
- Greeting guests at our events in a professional and curteous manner.
- Answer questions about CLAGS or direct individuals to the proper staff person.
- Answer email and/or phone inquiries.
- Help prepare bulk mailings and other correspondence.
- Other duties as assigned.